Discussion: How do you "roadplate"?

Still working on that one mod or moc? Share your progress! Ask feedback to the community.
Forum rules
The Brickstow community is founded to talk about LEGO. inappropriate language is not a part in that. Stay always on topic to keep things cozy! The Brickstow team will act if you behave inappropriate.
JackBrick
Site Admin
My LEGO city name: Brickstow & Brickberry Springs

Community Awards

Flair

Discussion: How do you "roadplate"?

Post by JackBrick »

So, I am kinda' frozen as it comes to my city layout. For a few months now. I am going to do a reconstruction of my house soon, and getting finance stuff ready is a lot of hassle. Especially when you also have a job, something you could consider a family, a hobby and so on. :mrgreen: The time it takes me in these little steps.. Sending an email to a potential contractor, waiting for them to reply.. and I have never done this before, and I have a good advisor but he is not that explicit when it comes to advising. :lol: And the Corona situation is not helping either, since it makes companies turn into their caves, almost dissapearing, or the complete opposite, drowning in work.

How this relates to the layout is as follows: I need the lego room for temporary storage when the reconstruction starts, and there is work to be done in that room aswell. So I am simply not able to create a massive layout at this point, because when the reconstruction starts I have to break it down anyway. Everything I do needs to be easily taken down when work starts.

So I am in a kind of experimenting mode now. One of them is trying to get a grip on how to decorate roadplates. I have seen a lot of lego cities with really wide pavements (from the modular extended over the roadplate) and with only the "modular pavement" but then bricked onto the roadplate. And offcourse the classic way of turning those 8 or 6 studs deep sides of the roads into parking spaces. I think all these methods have pros and cons, offcourse all from my point of view:

Roadplate methodprocon
Extended pavement from modular onto the roadplate studsIt gives your city a really Big City feeling I think!I wouldn't dare to take apart pieces of the original modular :lol: Psychological issues
Parking spaces bricked with plates onto the roadplate studsIt is really neat to be able to park a lot of cars, and I think this also gives your city a European vibeI think the sidewalks should be a bit higher than the actual parking space. With this method the purist in me thinks he needs to raise all his modulars with a layer of plates to get this done properly
Paving the modular sidewalks onto the roadplatesI think it is an approach which shows the modulars "as they are intended", at least it feels that way. It also creates a MASSIVE alley in the back of the buildings.Same con as mentioned before, you need to go wildstyle with your modulars, and not keeping them original feels funny. Also, it creates a MASSIVE alleyway in the back of the buildings (yes, this can also be a pro)
*Decorating the roadplate with other stuff such as greeneryIt provides maximum movability to reshuffle things without having to take stuff apartI see several.. mostly because other methods seem to blend more from a designer perspective, and it also costs you a lot of bricks to do it this way
Do your own custom roads SNOTI love the fact that with this method you can choose yourself how the street lines are coloured and positioned and mostly how wide they areSomething with money :roll: , you even need to transition your modulars to different surfaces too!
Do your own custom roads TILESI like it that you can choose your own colour design and so on, and also choose the width yourselves.Again.. something with money :roll:
*my current approach

This is my solution for now, to have roadplates decorated in a city style. It gives me the opportunity to still swap around with a layout, without everything being integrated / attached to eachother. Don't know for sure if this is the only way to do it though..

I am really curious to how others have decorated their roadplates? I can use the inspiration to trial and error with, so I can find a method of my likings for when the recontruction of the house is over and I can create a massive layout!

Do you decorate? Integrate? Or do you even brick your roads instead of roadplating them?

Founding father of this website. 8-) | Are you up for the 2020 Giveaway contest!?

Bricksterdam
Brick
My LEGO city name: Brickswijk aan Zee / Bricksterdam

Community Awards

Flair

Re: Discussion: How do you "roadplate"?

Post by Bricksterdam »

Wow, this is a lot to consider, great effort :o .

To be honest, I don't think I can be of much help. I'm not a Modular collector so my streets don't have to be tiled up to fit an harmonized style. My main sets are Creator 3-in-1, City and MOC's.

So to start I have Studs exposed all over the place and I love the flexibility this gives me. I can change scenes with minifigures all the time etc or add and remove small builds (like the ones from the City Square set. or I can use a big open space for a seasonal theme like a Christmas market with little stalls. When adding something to the city like a building or landscape I often build it on a plate instead of baseplates so it's easy to move or replace in case I want to. This means most of my building projects are small builds, a bit like vignettes and the city is the place where I combine the projects I like to keep.

Oh, and I ordered a big pile of DBG 32x32 baseplates from bricks and pieces to have the same colour from normal plate to roadplate ;)
Sarcasm is my oxygen :mrgreen:

JackBrick
Site Admin

Community Awards

Flair

Post by JackBrick »

Well, we think alike on keeping things as flexible and editable I see! I do am curious to how an environment from that perspective will look though, you have any photos from something like that?

uhm wait... are there 32x32 dark bluish grey plates?
Founding father of this website. 8-) | Are you up for the 2020 Giveaway contest!?

Karlsvik_bricks
Street tile
My LEGO city name: KarlsVik City

Community Awards

Post by Karlsvik_bricks »

I don't think that I am going to be much help here, but for what it's worth. These are my thoughts and what I would *like* to do. Again. I have not implemented these techniques yet, but I would really like to. Firstly I like the standard lego road plates, and I have purchased so many that I would not even consider doing brick built roads. Just seems like too much money in brick for the end result, but again just my opinion. I would love to get all of my modulars onto mils style plates. And I have seen a technic where you can use standard road plates on top of a mils system and you use bricks to lock it in, as standard road plates are the thin kind, and do not have any bottom stud tubes. That being said. I would like to have the modulars on mils plus a plate or so, so that the buildings are higher than the roads giving you the curb effect, but without loosing the ability of being able to move them around the layout very easily. Also, mils gives you the perfect place to hide your wires, were you to light up your city. The mils system does use more bricks and plates than I would really like to expend, but I think the advantages of them outweigh the cost of brick in the long run, and I believe they are a better use of brick, than brick built roads. Again. These are just my thoughts. I am by no means an expert. Just sharing what I've been thinking. On a side note, I am NOT looking forward to changing all my modulars over to mils, but once it is done the end result will be well worth it, hiding wires, strengthening the build etc.... happy bricking!
See you in Valhalla.
et in Arcadia (L)ego

JackBrick
Site Admin

Community Awards

Flair

Post by JackBrick »

@Karlsvik_bricks I was not really aware of MILS, thanks for pointing it out to me! (I saw the technique before but did not know the term, still learning afol vocabulairy)

That is definately a welthy way of road making.. But as your future dreams (plans) point out, it is a way to fix a lot of cable management in a proper way. And definately a technique which gives the opportunity to create alternative roads. (when rich and nihilist) You could count MILS as a bricked road subcategory.

You say you are not looking forward to the transition, well.. Today I've spend two and a half hour taking down both Brickstow and Brickberry Springs because I need the space soon... And I experienced that starting is a boundry, but once I started time flew and before I knew it I was allready working on a smaller temporary city... v1.6. :mrgreen:

How do you have your roads and modulars now? Not attached?

Karlsvik_bricks
Street tile
My LEGO city name: KarlsVik City

Community Awards

Post by Karlsvik_bricks »

They are only attached with 2x2 light bluish grey tiles at the moment. I just extended the tiling out from the modular to the edge of the roadway.

JackBrick
Site Admin

Community Awards

Flair

Post by JackBrick »

Ah! So you have those wide sidewalks for girls to walk over slowly while they are shopping - AND offcourse you can have a proper redcarpet moment in front of the cinema!